Monday, December 3, 2007

23 Things ** Week 6



Thing 8 Google Documents

What a wonderful tool! I can see lots of applications for this in the Library, as well as personal use.

Rosters, timetables, upcoming events are just some of the applications I can see of use with this type of application. I am sure I will think of more as the day progresses.

After I did Thing 8 at work, I went home and started a spreadsheet for my daughter's wedding invitations. She'd sent me the list of names, and a lot of them needed updated details. I was not looking forward to labouriously emailing back and forwards with details. The Google Docs are so much easier and more practical, as her bridesmaid, herself and myself can now all share the document to make changes and corrections. Wonderful.
(The wedding is early next year, she is getting married here, but currently is living in Narrogin - which makes it difficult!)

Thing 9 Wiki

Okay, there were some problems with doing this! I inserted an image to my front page and lost all the info I had typed there. Not happy Jan! Oh well, a rookie mistake.

I could do more, but time constraints don't permit much except for down and dirty.

We already use a wiki at our library and find that it is a wonderful tool for keeping every one up to date with any changes to procedures, problems etc. It has become part of our day to check the wiki each morning.
So much easier than trying to let everyone know individually, especially as a lot of us are part-time.

I am not sure if I would use a wiki for personal use, but it is a marvellous tool in the workplace.

No comments: